Memorial Park Golf Course

Memorial Park Golf Course
Address:
1001 East Memorial Loop Drive
Houston, TX 77007
View the Map
Call:
713-862-4033
View the Website

The Memorial Park Golf Course began in 1923 as a 9-hole sand green course built near the hospital at Camp Logan for use by convalescent soldiers. When the hospital closed, the course was opened to the public.

In an ambitious effort to enhance parks across the city, the Parks and Recreation Department began construction to turn the 9-hole course into an illustrious 18-hole golf course. In July of the following year, the first ball was teed off on what architect John Bredemus called his "greatest golf course ever."

Through the years, Memorial Park Golf Course hosted many famous golfers such as Babe Didrikson Zaharias, Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer and Jimmy Demaret. It was also the home of the Houston Open from 1951 to 1963.

Overplay, inadequate funding and insufficient repair resulted in the gradual deterioration of the course. It became apparent that major renovations were necessary.

In 1994, on behalf of Mayor Bob Lanier, Houston Park Board member Nancy Reynolds began a campaign to restore the golf course to its original grandeur. Great detail was given to preserving the historical quality as well as to allowing for proper maintenance for the future of the course.

In 1995, the newly renovated 600-acre course opened with a lighted driving range, putting and chipping greens, a beautiful new clubhouse facility and a golf museum create from the original clubhouse structure.

Today, the Memorial Park Golf Course is known as one of the best municipal courses in the nation and is visited by more than 60,000 patrons each year. Houston is proud to call Memorial Park Golf Course the crown jewel of Memorial Park.